The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European non-profit science and technology institution based in Cyprus with a local and regional mission. The research program of the Cyprus Institute is pursued mainly through its three research centers: the Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CaSToRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology Research Center (STARC), and the Energy Environment Water Research Center (EEWRC). Considerable cross-center interaction is a characteristic of the Institute’s culture.
The CyI invites applications for a Project Officer position from professionals with strong administrative, organizational and communication skills, for the CyI Solar Thermal Energy Chair for the Eastern Mediterranean (CySTEM – Chair) project.
The CySTEM – Chair project aims to consolidate and upgrade the already substantial activity at the Cyprus Institute (CyI) Solar Energy and Desalination (SED) Group in Solar Energy, principally solar-thermal and related activities. This will be accomplished by attracting and installing a cluster of outstanding researchers, led by a professor of international stature to maximally utilize and upgrade the existing facilities, and pursue a program of excellence in Cyprus with local and regional focus in the region of Eastern Mediterranean and Middle East (EMME).
The principal focus will be on Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) technologies for electricity production, desalination, air conditioning and heating, either in isolation or in multi-generation modes. The Chair shall be embedded in CyI’s Energy Environment and Water Research Centre (EEWRC), a Centre with intense activity in climate change (and adaptation strategies), water management, and sustainability. CyI, being a technologically orientated research and educational institution, will provide the CySTEM Chair the opportunity to contribute to other related important activities of techno-economic nature, such as the
Under the supervision of the project leader, and in coordination with the rest of the SED group, the Project Officer for the CySTEM project will give support to the Scientific Coordinator of the project in the implementation of all project-related activities. This includes, in addition to the administrative matters, the engagement in the strategic development of the project portfolio and the research agenda of the appropriate research unit (EEWRC and in particular it’s Energy Division). The successful candidate will also initiate and support communication with partners and stakeholders of the Chair and of the Energy Division.
The candidate should preferably have a background in supporting administrative management of EU-funded projects, preferably of technological nature. Proven - participation in the management of research projects will be considered an advantage. The position requires a proactive, creative, independently thinking person with passion for promoting science and technology.
The appointment will be on a full time basis, initially for a fixed term period of two (2) years with the potential of contract renewal depending on performance and availability of funds.
The successful candidate will be participating in the following:
- Assistance to Project Management:
- Support research project oversight
- Support project administration/coordination (progress & financial reporting, deliverables, communication with funding organisations)
- Participate in communication with funding agencies, the European Commission and the National Contact Points for getting clarification on various aspects of proposal writing and the relevant regulations
- Support identification of funding opportunities
- Aid in the development and creation of project proposals
- Support identification of cooperation opportunities with potential partners and for applied exploitation of research results and innovation opportunities
- Contribute to identifying synergies between the CySTEM project and other CyI efforts
- Proposal preparation:
- Institutional tasks:
- An undergraduate or postgraduate degree in a scientific or technical field
- At least three (3) years of previous working experience relevant to the requirements of the position
- Ability to multitask and change priorities with minimum supervision
- Excellent knowledge of standard word processing, office IT tools, and project management software
- High level of communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to adopt to a multicultural/multidisciplinary environment
- High level organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent knowledge of oral and written English; knowledge of Greek will be an advantage.
Additional, preferred skills include:
- Previous experience in a research/academic institution
- Previous experience of EU-funded projects
- Center: EEWRC
- Closing Date: Sunday, 05 July 2015