The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European non-profit science and technology institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees. The research aims of the Cyprus Institute are represented by three research centers: the Energy Environment Water Research Center (EEWRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology Research Center (STARC), and the Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CASTORC).
The EEWRC addresses research issues of global significance in the fields of energy, environmental and water, with a focus on their specific regional, East-Mediterranean manifestations. Its research agenda focuses on the great challenges related to: the specification of mitigation and adaptation strategies necessitated by climate change, a reduced dependence on hydrocarbon energy sources and achieving a low carbon economy through the employment of renewables (solar) and enabling a sustainable management of water and other natural resources in arid and semi-arid environments.
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) invites applications for a Research Scientist(s) to contribute in research projects in the field of Concentrated Solar Power/Desalination at its Energy, Environment and Water Research Center (EEWRC). The appointment will initially be for a fixed term period of two (2) years with the potential of contract renewal depending on performance and availability of funds. The official joining rank and annual salary will depend on the applicants’ experience and qualifications.
The successful applicant(s) shall be actively engaged with the on-going research and the design, construction, testing and optimization of experimental components associated with the Solar Thermal Energy Storage and Desalination research carried out at the Cyprus Institute. This also includes the development or adaptation of control systems for a Concentrating Solar Power (CSP) plant, working with sensors, data analysis and modelling aimed at improving the efficiency of CSP systems.
- To design, construct, test and optimize experimental components associated with the Solar Thermal Energy Storage and Desalination research carried out at the Cyprus Institute
- To develop or adapt control systems for a Concentrating Solar Power (CSP) plant
- To operate sensors and perform data analysis and modelling aimed at improving the efficiency of CSP systems
- PhD or MSc/MEng in Engineering or Experimental Physics
- Previous studies in one of the following fields:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical Processes
- Electrical Engineering
- Experimental Physics
- At least three years of proven practical (laboratory or field) experience
- Proficiency in spoken and written English is essential. Knowledge of the Greek language will be considered an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team
Additional Skills and Experience (preferred)
- Any peer-reviewed publications in the aforementioned fields would be considered a competitive advantage.
- Specialised experience in the following fields would also be considered a competitive advantage:
- Control Systems
- Computational and Experimental Fluid-Mechanics
- Solar-Thermal plants, Concentrating Solar Power, co-generation of concentrated solar power and desalination
- Thermal storage devices (e.g. molten salts), high temperature engineering
For full consideration, interested applicants should send their i) curriculum vitae, ii) letter of interest and iii) the names of three contactable referees (all documentation should be in English) via e-mail to HR[at]cyi.ac.cy with the following reference EEWRC_RSCP_14_10. The application deadline is the31st January 2015. For further information, please contact Dr. Nicolas Jarraud at n.jarraud[at]cyi.ac.cy. Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Please note that applications without the proper reference number in the subject heading will be discarded.
- Center: EEWRC
- Closing Date: Saturday, 31 January 2015