Scientist(s)/Engineer(s) for Solar Energy Research
Closing Date: 4th April 2014
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European non-profit science and technology institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees. The research aims of the Cyprus Institute are represented by three research centers: the Energy Environment Water Research Center (EEWRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology Research Center (STARC), and the Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CASTORC).
The Cyprus Institute is spearheading a number of projects on Solar-Thermal Energy which involve the construction of innovative multipurpose demonstration units using concentrated solar power (CSP). The units which will utilise solar thermal energy, include a thermal storage system using molten salts as the storage medium, and will produce electricity through a steam engine and desalinate water through a Multi-Effect Distillation (MED) system.
The units’ operation is intended to confirm the technical feasibility of the innovative ideas of multi-application solar thermal demonstrators on a small scale and realistic environmental and operating conditions, before their deployment.
In addition, the Cyprus Institute is playing a leading role in a number of new EU-wide Integrated Research Programmes, that include the Scientific and Technological Alliance for Guaranteeing the European Excellence in Concentrating Solar Thermal Energy (STAGE-STE, http://stage-ste.eu) that aims to transform a group of 40 partners (research institutes and industry in Europe and beyond) into a reference institution for concentrating Solar Thermal Energy (STE) research in Europe, the Small scale thermal solar district units for Mediterranean communities (STS-Med, www.stsmed.eu) that will build CSP pilot systems in the Mediterranean basin, and the EU-Solaris project (www.eusolaris.eu) which will achieve a real coordination of RTD capabilities and efforts in STE by the European Research Centres, along with those from the neighbouring countries, in order to foster the technological development of the Industry.
The Cyprus Institute is also participating in a landmark study commissioned by the Cyprus government on the optimum monetization pathways of Natural Gas for Cyprus together with the MIT Energy Initiative (http://goo.gl/YTNaju). The Institute is also an active participant of the European Energy Research Alliance (EERA, www.eera-set.eu) and a full member of two of its Joint Programmes in CSP (www.eera-set.eu/index.php?index=28) and the Economic, Environmental and Social Impacts of Energy (e3s, www.eera-set.eu/index.php?index=127).
CyI is seeking to recruit dynamic and versatile Scientist(s) or Engineer(s) to work on the design, construction, installation, commissioning and optimization of solar thermal demonstration units.
The successful applicant(s) will actively participate in the on-going research, and design, construction, testing and optimization of experimental components in the field of the Solar Thermal Energy and Desalination research carried out at the CyI. This would include the development or adaptation of a model and simulation tools aimed at improving the efficiency of concentration optical systems. The appointment will be initially for a fixed term period of two (2) years with the potential of contract renewaldepending on performance and availability of funds. The official joining rank and annual salary will depend on the applicants’ experience and qualifications.
Profile and Requirements
- PhD in Engineering or Experimental Physics with at least 2 years of proven practical (laboratory or field) experience
- MSc/MEng in Engineering or Experimental Physics with at least 5 years of proven practical (laboratory or field) experience
- Knowledge in one of the following fields: mechanical, chemical, process, electrical engineering or experimental physics
- Proficiency in spoken and written English is essential. Knowledge of the Greek language will be considered an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team
The selected candidate(s) will work in the areas of systems engineering and design. Applicant(s) are expected to have expertise in at least two of the following areas:
- Engineering of solar thermal technologies (Troughs, Heliostats, Receiver systems, Thermal storage)
- Solar desalination, especially MED systems
- Thermal and process engineering (in particular steam loops)
- Mechanical systems design, integration and analysis
- Instrumentation, specification and integration of control systems
- Center: EEWRC
- Closing Date: Friday, 04 April 2014